Last week, after reading what Mark Pilgrim had to say about macros in MovableType, I made a mental note to finally circle back around to hacking together my WeblogWithWiki now that MovableType has plugin features.
Turns out it was so much easier than I thought it would be. MovableType's plugin scheme is dead simple, which hopefully means that plugins will flourish like mad.
First, I hacked together MTWikiFormatPlugin. This plugin simply implements a new container tag, MTWikiFormat, which runs the contents of the tag through CPAN:Text::WikiFormat. This doesn't actually integrate with any existing wiki, but it is very simple to install and does bring some wiki-ness to blog entries, including some limited formatting and Wiki:WikiWords. This doesn't provide everything Mark had posted in a lil wishlist comment to me, but it's a start. Maybe I'll look into tearing the formatting guts out of some wiki to make a Text::WikiFormat replacement, or maybe I'll submit patches to the original module.
The second plugin though, MTXmlRpcFilterPlugin, is what I'm really happy about.
Whereas MTWikiFormatPlugin filters content through one perl module, MTXmlRpcFilterPlugin can filter content through one or more XmlRpcFilteringPipe interfaces. I have a handful of these filters available on my site right now, and in a little while I will catalog them in the wiki. For now, I'm just filtering this entry through DecafbadWiki. In the future, I may get more adventurous with my content filtering pipeline.
One drawback to using MTXmlRpcFilterPlugin for the purposes of a WeblogWithWiki is that I've only got support for TWiki so far in my XmlRpcToWiki project. Other wikis still need some hacking before they can provide filters. Some assembly required, fellow AlphaGeeks.
So, ShareAndEnjoy. Time for bed.shortname=ooobdd