I went a little nuts tonight with shell scripting. It started off with a few innocent bits of
grep piped together. But then I invited trouble started using
sed. Pretty soon, I was bringing in
uniq. I knew I was doomed when I made the whole mess start emailing me with
Oh, but then I went completely off the deep end. I looked up RSS 3.0, since that's so much easier to generate on the fly. I started producing that with a little help from
awk. From there, I whipped up a quick v3.0 to v0.91 converter so I could get something my aggregator could understand.
It was all a very iterative process down a slippery slope of geekiness, and the resulting scripts are nothing that I'd've designed as such from scratch. But, one thing led to another, and now I've got a nightly report emailed to me of pages that have gone 404 and 500, and an RSS feed of referers to boot.
I'm sure it looks like completely braindead work, but it was fun!