Still alive... I think. Have worked about 40 or 50 hours in the past 3 days. First release of work project happens tomorrow, after which I hope to take a 4 day vacation to celebrate my and my girlfriend's birthday (Oct 24, same day).
Some revelations over the last few days:
- October is not 31 days long - it is 31 days and one hour long.
- Java has a class to handle date manipulations that I forgot to use, for some reason - but now that I know about it, there's some major rearchitecting in store to use it.
- I'm tired of bar graphs, web server logs, and explaining how the tea leaves are read.
- I like my new Treo Communicator - it is great for playing kMoria (but not NetHack) and quickly SSH'ing into a server from bed to restart a process about whose death I was paged on the same device. (ooh, what if the pager message could contain a button to connect to the server crying wolf?)
- I've come to realize that I enjoy playing NetHack and kMoria between compile-and-test cycles at 3AM better than I ever enjoyed Everquest in quieter times.
- On the drive home, as the sun was rising, I was trying to think of just what aspects of Everquest (beyond graphics and besides multiplayer) are better than the family of Rogue-like games. And... could someone hack together a Rogue-like UI with which one could play Everquest?
- Also on the drive home, I was thinking that I'd like to take a break from being a geek and a software architect altogether, and maybe raise sheep and make sweaters for awhile. What do you think?
- Hernias suck, and impending surgery is stress-inducing.