As you may have noticed, I've been shaking things up around here a little. Sorry for turbulence in the feeds! I've moved to a new server, and I've been trying out Movable Type again, but with mixed luck.
Why? Because I've been using WordPress for a few years, and I felt like a change. Maybe in another few months I'll convert over to Blosxom again, or try ExpressionEngine for the first time. Now, if only I could get all the timestamps right so some of my late-night posts don't have broken permalinks due to day changes. Maybe I'll end up just sticking with WordPress after all.
But anyway, I'm also having another bout of periodic existential doubt about what I'm doing here with a blog. So, in navel-gaze mode, I spent time a few nights ago skimming and reading through all 1000 or so entries I've written here. I do this periodically with the scores of paper journals I've accumulated to recenter and reconnect with myself, but I've never done it here.
So, for my own reference more than anything, here's 0xDECAFBAD Greatest Hits Vol 1, the Tinkery Bits.
It may be presumptuous to ask, but if anyone actually reads through this list and thinks of something worth surfacing that I missed—by all means, let me know. I'm trying to remind myself what I started this thing for.
- 2008 Jan 31: Metablogging
- A look at all the different tools I've tried using for blogging lately.
- 2007 Dec 24: An Accumulator for all my stuff
- About building my own lifestreaming thingy.
- 2007 Oct 17: OPML reading lists in FeedMagick2
- More work on OPML reading lists and merging feeds.
- 2007 Jul 23: A Curmudgeon Playing with the CodeIgniter Framework and OpenID
- Reporting on learning a new PHP framework.
- 2006 Apr 21: An S3 AJAX Wiki
- Building a wiki based on Amazon S3 and client-side code.
- 2006 Mar 25: About XoxoOutliner
- Building a browser-based outliner that deals in XHTML and XOXO.
- 2005 Dec 13: FeedMagick, the feed filter that doesn’t know much about feeds
- Munging, converting, and merging feeds without destroying content.
- 2005 Oct 05: FeedSpool is progressing nicely
- Fetching, caching, and spooling up feed updates without destroying content.
- 2005 Jul 12: In-browser XOXO Outliner Experiment
- Early experiments in microformat-based outlining.
- 2005 Jun 08: Magic Microformat Forms Redux, Now with GreaseMonkey!
- Expressing my enthusiasm for microformats in code.
- 2004 Dec 12: Building an Address Book as a Modern Web App
- An unfinished attempt to demonstrate what everyone would soon be doing with AJAX.
- 2004 Nov 30: Next generation web apps using REST, XML, XSLT, and XmlHTTPRequest
- Wherein I try to talk about AJAX before the the name was coined.
- 2004 Jun 16: Wish-of-the-Month Club, Part 1 of 3
- The first in a series of articles building a wishlist project atop Amazon web services, an attempt at writing something publication-worthy.
- 2003 Sep 02: Using web services and XSLT to scrape RSS from HTML
- Progressing from perl scraping hacks to cleaner XSLT-based feed scraping.
- 2003 Aug 31: Bookmark Blogger in Python
- I would later abandon this entirely for del.icio.us, but I've been bookmark-blogging for awhile.
- 2003 Aug 22: Scraping HTML with curl, tidy, and XSL
- Trying to bring some cleaner approaches to web scraping beyond regular expressions.
- 2003 Jun 19: Desktop server + Flash GUI?
- Eventually, things like Adobe Air would fill this niche, I think.
- 2003 Mar 06: Building Pipelines with Web Services
- I still haven't seen much work toward using pipelined HTTP-based web services.
- 2003 Feb 15: Say hello to Agent Frank
- This project got abandoned, but I did release this overly-complex Java-based personal HTTP proxy.
- 2003 Feb 04: Bookmark blogging from Safari via a quick hack
- Prescient of my eventual extreme enthusiasm for del.icio.us, I started blogging my bookmarks.
- 2002 Dec 28: Universal personal proxies & agent companions
- Initial thoughts toward Agent Frank and filtering / analyzing my own web consumption.
- 2002 Nov 26: XML-RPC, a mini case study
- Wherein I talk about how XML-RPC has worked for me.
- 2002 May 31: [RSS autodiscovery via the HTML LINK element](http://decafbad.com/blog/2002/05/31
- It's the orange feed button everywhere now—here's how it started.
- 2002 Apr 18: Auto-backlinks from blog entries via referral logs
- Building backlinks from referer logs to help weave the blogosphere. It was great until the spammers ruined it, though Sam Ruby has a neat implementation.
- 2002 Apr 18: Pipelining the web makes for messy URLs
- It's awkward to express pipelines on the web using URLs.
- 2002 Apr 17: REST. What is it good for?
- At one point, I was pretty dubious about this REST thing.
- 2002 Feb 26: Almost done with another implementation of the Wiki XML-RPC API
- I was working on XML-RPC APIs for various wiki installs at one point.