Okay, after several comments, emails, IMs, and other encouragement, I stopped adding features and cleaned up a few things in my new AmphetaDesk template and have uploaded a tarball of it:
- Leaner template code on the server side, leaner HTML on the browser side.
- Ampheta remembers things about items now, such as # of clicks, age, and # of times seen.
- Ampheta can act on this memory, sorting and hiding items.
- Old, stale things tend to go away.
- Often used & visited things tend to come first.
- Rename/backup the directory
templatesdirectory of your AmphetaDesk installation.
- Replace that directory with the contents of the above-linked tarball.
- Create a directory named
datadirectory of your AmphetaDesk installation.
- Start AmphetaDesk, and let simmer for a few days to see things start working
default/index.htmldirectly for now. I plan to add some fields to the settings page to manage these settings, eventually. Also, you really want to have the
Digest::MD5perl module installed, but I have included
Okay, I'm off to lunch. Let me know how you like it!
Update: It appears that some people are having problems with their AmphetaDesk failing to find the custom modules I include with the template. If you have trouble running the template, try copying the contents of
templates/default/lib into the
lib/ directory of your AmphetaDesk install.
Update 2: I think I've fixed the showstoppers, as I will write here in the future. So, I've taken the liberty of going back in time and replacing the tarball here with the fixed one in case anyone has linked to this story. Enjoy!shortname=ooobbf